Google+ House Revivals: Make a Travel Paint Set From an Altoids Tin!

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Make a Travel Paint Set From an Altoids Tin!

Here is a great gift idea for the artist in your life! Create a little travel paint set, using student grade paints.


I use mine for art journalling when I'm on the go.



Start with an Altoids tin or something similar. You can find a tutorial for altering the outside of your tin here.


I added decorative duct tape to the bottom of the inside of the tin just for fun. The lid of the tin functions as a paint palette, so I used white card stock and laminated it with clear packing tape, then secured it to the inside of the lid with double-sided tape. Next, I gathered up some supplies. I cut down a pencil, for sketching, and cut down some brushes and a straw. I use the piece of straw to lengthen my brushes when I am painting.  I also added a couple of condiment containers for water, a piece of paper towel, a couple of rubber bands, and a small scraper.


The paint pots were cut from a tray of inexpensive student grade water colors and adhered with double-sided tape to a tray made from a laminated piece of card stock. I added a little "tab" to the paint tray to make it easy to get in and out of the tin.


All of the loose supplies fit into the bottom of the tin, and the paint tray sits on top.


Do you enjoy creating art on the go?  I have tested this little kit quite a bit in recent weeks, and I have to say I love, love, love it! Wouldn't this make a perfect stocking stuffer for the artist in your life?